Thursday, December 8, 2011

the writing process...and cucumbers

As any educator knows, the writing process (organization, word choice, topics, presentation, voice, fluency and conventions ) has become so important as tests are rapidly moving away from the multiple choice tests of yore.  Kids HAVE to be able to write and explain answers in every subject including math...writing IS a big deal!

So...beginning with "almost" Day 1 of first grade we introduce four new words a week...they don't just have to
know the word and the definition but they also have to know
what part of speech it is...we stick to nouns, verbs and adjectives...I am not strong enough to tackle adverbs.
After working on sentences "ad naseum" we are now writing stories and that begins with "thinking".

Is this the picture of a thinker?  (In real life, she's more of a talker...but for practical purpose of this blog...she IS a thinker.)  This step requires coming up with several topics that she feels she can write a good story about because she has sooooooo much knowledge about the subject matter...so she thinks and she thinks and she thinks...and bingo...she's got her idea!

I know...that was my reaction also!!!   However, since she had to come up with 3 topics that she felt equipped to write about...there are two more!

So after much deliberation...she made her final choice and cucumbers lost out to cats.  (I know...I was disappointed too!)  I sooo wanted to see a cucumber story!

Armed with her trusty dictionary she was all set to start her story...I tell them I want them to use 2nd and 3rd and 4th grade words and I don't want to be BORED!!!  I hate being bored.

I should have been
suspicious at this
point when she asked
how to spell
"cucumbers".

This is what the other side of
the "C" page looks like...we
use these dictionaries
to death!

Here is her "sloppy" copy with a little teacher review and editing...but not much!

And lo and behold...her final copy and illustration of a fabulous story with cool details.  I love the fact that her cat has color preferences and even a least favorite color...I was not bored a second by her story!

My only regret...it was not about cucumbers!


Featuring the musings, writings and illustrations of Miss Alaina Nault...first grader.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, would like to read a cucumber story. Perhaps an extra credit project? :)

    ReplyDelete